Rubrics: Tools for teachers and students

Rubrics are visual scoring tools that lay out the specific expectations for an evaluation. They divide the assessment criteria into its component parts and provide a description of what constitutes acceptable or unacceptable levels of performance for each of those parts (Stevens & Levi, 2005). I use rubrics with my Year 3 students based on the A-E grading system with an A represented by 5 points and an E represented by 1 point.  The language descriptors which I choose are based on the draft Performance Indicators and Expectations created by the CEO. Below are some examples of rubrics which I have created:

ProcedureWritingRubricAustCurricJVillis
AdditionSubtractionMentalRubricJVillis
MoneyAustCurricRubricJVillis

Recently I invited my class to create their own rubrics for a web site evaluation unit. The Achievement Standard focus for the unit was for students to understand how language can be used to express feelings and opinions on topics. The English Content Descriptor was for students to identify the features of online texts that enhance navigation. The unit was also linked ICT as students were required to use Microsoft word and insert a table, use the highlight tool and design fill tool. In order to support students prior to and during the lesson I recorded a step by step video tutorial for students.

Learning Program: WebSiteEvalProgram_AustCurric_JVillis

Student Work Samples: StudentSampleRubricsJVillis

Reference: Stevens, D. & Levi, A. (2005) Introduction to rubrics: An assessment tool to save grading time, convey effective feedback and promote student learning.