Handwriting app for iPad and SMART Notebook tools for teaching handwriting

Letter Workbook Alphabet Writing is an interactive app which give your 12 letters to explore in order to assist students with letter formation. Students can select upper or lower case letters. Each letter starts with interactive dots to guide the finger to trace the lines that build up the whole letter. The app will instruct students with sound to trace the letter without the interactive guide from the second to sixth letter. Then a clear audio instruction is given to ask the student to trace the letter without the guide. My only criticism is that the app doesn’t use the phonetic pronunciation for lower case letters (ie it says ‘B’ not ‘b’).

To assist students with their writing skills I recommend buying a stylist for your iPad. They cost approximately $14 but if you search online I am sure you will be able to find a cheaper price. A teacher today also informed me that you can also buy a stylist with a triangular  grip for young students or students who are experiencing fine motor difficulties.

If you have an interactive SMART board you use some of the neat functions to teach handwriting. Below is a short video demonstration: