2nd Grade Reading Comprehension iPad app

This reading comprehension app has twenty fictional stories about children’s daily life. You get 4¬† stories for free called Kelly’s Teddy Bear, Baking Cookies, Going Camping and Mike’s New Glasses. If you want the other 16 stories you need to buy the full version for $1.99. When I upgrade on my iPad though, it actually cost $2.99.

Each story has about 150 words. Each story introduces new vocabulary and concepts, and is followed by a set of exercises that measure the student’s comprehension. If a student can’t read a word, they can touch the word and the word is played for them. The exercises include multiple choice questions, true/false questions and matching exercises that ask the student to match words or concepts with their definition, or create compound words.

The free version allows a student to sign in as a guest and records their progress. The full version¬† allows unlimited individual users, and provides detailed reports on each student’s progress. The app can be configured to email the progress reports to a parent or teacher.

What I really like about this app is that you can create and add your own stories, along with images and questions. Students select create a story, enter a title, type their story and then they can create their own multiple choice questions, yes or no questions or create a vocabulary matching list.

AbiTalk, the creators of this app, offer the same app for each year level up to year 5.  I purchased both 2nd Grade and 3rd Grade Reading Comprehension apps.

Permission to use image received 24/3/2013 by Emmy support@abitalk.com